Thursday 8 June 2017

Literacy in Maths -Hard Sums

Literacy Support in Maths
Some options
Reading
Vocabulary   oral or written words
-lists and /or matching exercise  
-keyword memory prompts
-cluster diagrams
-focus on understanding the type of question


During Reading
-focus student comprehension
-forces students to reread
-changes student reading speed
Reading Template
-develops comprehension skills
e.g.
-what must I find?
-what unknown must I deal with
-what must I use?  
-what equation must I use
-what new vocabulary have I encountered, topic/math related
-what memory prompts will I use
-what diagram/shading will aid the task
-what steps must I use


After Reading
Functional Grammar grid
-student awareness of question structure and language features
-student awareness of ellipsis or substitution
Think Aloud Strategy, or Say It grid   related link
-steps awareness
-students develop mathematical independence
-decreases student reliance on the teacher or other students
-promotes student confidence in their own ability
-metacognition, how do I know what I know
Making Connections table     -metacognition
-The skill I’ve learnt is ……………
-I can apply this strategy to the next question because……..
-this problem is similar to the last problem because………but now I
have to…………………
Calculation Grids
-scaffold the problem-solving process



Say It         Think Aloud I       Think Aloud II Think Aloud III      

No comments:

Post a Comment